Rational HATS applications on Apache Geronimo server
IBM Rational HATS applications are always known to be developed for IBM WebSphere Application or Portal Servers. Now we can develop, test, and deploy HATS web applications for the Apache Geronimo web application server along with Tomcat web container.
Apache Geronimo is an open source server runtime that meet the needs of enterprise JAVA developers and system administrators.
Downloading and Installing Geronimo Server
Download and install Geronimo server with the Tomcat web container:
- Download Apache Geronimo from here http://geronimo.apache.org/downloads.html.
- Extracting the .zip or .tar files and install it.
- Run the server from a command line window by changing the directory to geronimo_home/bin and entering the command: geronimo run.
The Geronimo Eclipse Plugin (GEP) provides integration between Eclipse, its Web Tools Platform (WTP) project, and Geronimo that enables you to utilize WTP features to develop, test, and deploy applications for the Apache Geronimo server using Rational SDP.
Install the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin (GEP), GEP version 2.2 has server adapters for version 1.1.x, version 2.0.x, version 2.1.x, and version 2.2 Apache Geronimo servers.
Configure Apache Geronimo as a server in Rational SDP for HATS test environment:
- At the Rational SDP menu bar, click Window > Preferences.
- In the left panel, expand Server section.
- Click on Runtime Environments.
- At the panel ‘Server Runtime Environments’, click Add here.
- In the New Server Runtime Environment dialog box, expand the Apache folder.
- Select the version of the Apache Geronimo server.
- Click Next to go to the panel, point to your local Geronimo server. In the field ‘Application server Directory’ enter the folder where the Geronimo server files are extracted.
- Click Finish.
- Click OK to close the panel ‘Preferences’.
After these steps, now we can create HATS applications within Rational SDP for Apache Geronimo servers.
There are some differences between HATS web applications on Apache Geronimo server as compared to WebSphere Application Server. For instance, only single HATS web application is supported per .ear file on an Apache Geronimo server while WAS can run many.
Research Courtesy: Rafay Mirani (Rafi-u-Rehman)